Friday, August 10, 2007

no TV, no problem

I had (free) satellite TV available to me...then I didn't.

I live too far from the city to watch over-air broadcast TV. I can get one station...but had satellite TV. When I do/did watch broadcast stations, I time-shift with a VCR and DVR. My control over my time...that I do what I want when I want...is very important to me.

The satellite service has been out for a week. I've never been a big (TV) watcher. I watch what I like...I have my favorites: news, tech, The Shield, Real Time with Bill Maher...

I love vodcasts: I start the download and walk away, they're there when I want them, they're free, I can rewind and forward through the content.

I wanted to be updated on the news. I couldn't think of any one website I wanted to go to , so I used Google and searched for "watch news".

One site had links to CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox. I tried them. What I wanted to see (Heroes) was not available. What I attempted to see...CBS News...crashed Firefox. Streaming video from CNN is too jerky...

I have no interest in making an effort of going through YouTube, Google Video, AOL Video, and the like, to find something I want to see.

A few days ago I scanned the AM and FM dial...twice...to see if there was anything on I wanted to hear. There wasn't. Later, when I feel like taking the time to seek for something I want to hear, I MIGHT consider listening to some streaming audio.

CNN Radio (which has an option to listen to CNN TV) did not work in Firefox. I'll bookmark it anyway...

For now, I have: terabytes of podcasts/vodcasts and music files, CDs, and DVDs, and can watch streaming video from Netflix.

I'm probably too selective. I'm not like others who will watch TV and a movie...just to watch it. I need to be interested - maybe even entertained - or I will not be pacified by the presentation.

I must have high-speed internet (and the electricity to power it)...I can do more with it, than without it.

Are you really getting the value you want for the dollar you pay?

No comments: