Monday, January 26, 2009

messin' with the music

I have always believed that, when albums began to be made available on Compact Disc, record companies were too damn lazy to faithfully reproduce them as they were in their original form...

In its originally released form on vinyl, on the album "News of the World" by Queen, the songs "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" did not have any dead or silent space between them. On Compact Discs, I assume the record company did not use the album master since there is very obvious separation of the songs.

This has always bugged me. It just seems that the record company wanted to get the product out to make money...to hell with keeping its artistic nuance intact. Whenever I've had to play "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" on-air I've tried to use two CDs just so I can smash them together as they were originally released. I hate hearing that two second silence between the songs. I have never been able to purchase the album on CD...I suggest that any vinyl copies available should be purchased and locked into a safe.

No comments: