Saturday, July 5, 2014

Linux Lite (on an old computer)


When I was young, we didn't have much money.  Because of those experiences...I (probably) keep, and use, things a lot longer than I should.  I still have a Palm LifeDrive.  My Dell Inspiron 9400 notebook computer...which was given to me for free...has Windows Vista installed, and only 2 GB of RAM.  BUT it has a VERY comfortable 17-inch display (I love that).

I try to care for things I own so they can perform as best as they can.  My Toshiba Satellite A105-S4034 notebook computer is in great shape.  I purchased a battery that has allowed me to use the computer from 5 to 7 hours.  The computer has 3 GB RAM, and an Intel T1350 1.86 GHz processor.  I've been seeking a "very light" distribution of Linux for it...

I've installed Linux Lite 2.0 (https://www.linuxliteos.com).

I owned an Acer C710 Chromebook.  It was a great "notepad".  When I used it for more than that I was disappointed.  (I expected to be able to stream YouTube videos without any performance issues, and my expectations were too great.)

(Instead of purchasing a Chromebook) I installed the Google Chrome browser on my Toshiba.  I am unable to streaming video (from YouTube) without performance issues...but I'm not surprised:  other operating systems I installed on this computer have also not allowed for smooth streaming of video.

For now, I expect to be able to use this computer as I would a very cheap Chromebook:  hours of use and battery life, no expectations of being able to enjoy (streaming) video services.

(I'm using Dropbox to synchronize and access files.)

No comments: