Thursday, May 1, 2008

64-bit Windows; upgrading to Vista

(Before you purchase a 64-bit version of Windows, read on...)

I have been unable to find information from the manufacturers of my computers regarding compatibility with the 64-bit versions of Windows.

None of my computers are on the Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List.

The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor did not provide an answer...

I have copies of Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and 32-bit...I hoped that by booting the computers with the Windows Vista 64-bit DVD I would be able to check them for compatibility: it worked.

My Toshiba Satellite A105-S4034 is not compatible.

Since it booted to the first setup screen, I assume the processor of my Alienware Area 51 m9750 is compatible.

I received my Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit and 32-bit DVDs directly from Microsoft. Both will not allow me to upgrade my OEM Windows Vista Home Premium: I am forced to perform a new installation of Windows.

It appears I cannot change my product key and do a Windows Anytime Upgrade (to Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit).

For now, I'll leave my configuration the way it is.

(So far, the only 64-bit application I'm aware of that exists...that I'm interested in using...is Thunderbird.)

I attempted to install Vista Ultimate 32-bit in an "upgrade" scenario. The error message I received is: "Upgrade has been disabled" and then "The upgrade cannot be started"...

I have Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) on the computer...according to Microsoft, I must remove the service pack and then upgrade.

After uninstalling SP1, I attempted to install Vista Ultimate: it stalled during the installation.

It will not install in Safe mode.

Remembering old tricks from when I worked for Microsoft, I copied the "sources" folder from the DVD to the root of my hard drive. After executing "setup.exe" in the folder, I was able to upgrade to Ultimate. I did not find this information on the Microsoft website...it should be.

No comments: