Monday, December 3, 2012

The Daily is dead. Good...


{Commentary}

"The Daily launched in February 2011 with the mission to provide the best news experience by combining world-class storytelling with the unique interactive capabilities of the iPad."

I never had a chance to read it...because it was a publication initially only available on an iPad.  Strike one.  I've recently learned it's available on other devices.  Well...too late now.

After learning it will stop publication, I found it was not free.  Strike two.  Not just for needing to be paid for...I understand and support things that are not free.  Though having regularly not had much "disposable income", my preferences to paying for services have been greatly towards things that I find worth the value of what I pay.  I was never aware of an opportunity to see the content without needing to pay for it.  I'm not paying for content that I have no idea I might be interested in and/or enjoy.

"Try it for free without any commitment."

Oh.  Well...too late now.  The people at The Daily, should have promoted it much better and often.

(As a member of media, I am offered free subscriptions to some periodicals...and I greatly appreciate it.  Professionally, because they supply me with information I need to support my position.  Personally, I'm a self-described "readaholic".  I try to show my gratitude for these subscriptions by promoting articles and information, and the publication, when possible.)

---------------------------------------------------

On their blog:

It is with heavy hearts that we share the news that we will be ceasing publication of The Daily on December 15th. 

...we would love to hear your thoughts about The Daily...Send your thoughts to thanks@thedaily.com...


No comments: